Uganda is one of the most entrepreneurial nations in the world (Global Entrepreneurship Monitor, 2015); however, most of the businesses do not live to see their first birthday (Japheth, 2017). This is because many Ugandans are starting up small businesses as a means of survival or to cope with unemployment. Many startups lack both business and technical skills, information about starting and growing a business and capital to grow their businesses.
Renewable Energy Business Incubator (REBi) Limited runs business incubation programs that provide tailored support to individuals or groups to help them establish and develop their renewable energy businesses. REBi supports the development and promotion of renewable energy technologies such as hydro power, biogas, biomass gasification, biomass briquetting, energy efficient cook stoves, wind and solar. We focus on renewable energy because it is generated from locally available sustainable natural resources which are never depleted, are cleaner, have a high potential for creating value chains in the various sectors since energy is an enabler.
Business incubation services provided by REBi include;
- Idea development
- Assessment of entrepreneurs needs
- Market and feasibility studies
- Prototyping and product development
- Trainings (business and technical)
- Mentorship and coaching
- Office space (shared desk and computers)
- Business plan development
- Network with financing institutions/capital providers, authorities, industry and universities